School Based Health
Glasscho Hope Wellness
School Based Health Center
The Glasscho Hope Wellness School Based Health Center (SBHC) was established in 1994 as a community outreach to increase access to health care for high risk teens in the Jasper County School district. In 1996, BJHCHS, Inc. began partnering with the Beaufort County School District to offer medical services at the Broad River Elementary.
Over the years the SBHC program has become a vibrant community partnership with the local school districts and has expanded from four hours of medical service per week to currently providing weekly medical, nutrition, and social worker services in nine schools throughout Jasper and neighboring Beaufort County. Services are available at the following schools during regular school hours (*Indicates Dental Clinic at location):
School Based Health services are provided by a Certified Family Nurse Practitioner, Pediatrician, Registered Dietitian and Licensed Independent Social Worker or Licensed Master’s Social Worker and do not take the place of the family/student’s regular physician, but rather is offered as a convenience to parents while allowing students to remain at school and continue their academic class work. Confidential, comprehensive service is offered at an affordable cost to all students enrolled in elementary, middle, or high school grades. Parental consent is required for students to participate in the program.
Health Services offered include:
- Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling
- Wellness & Nutrition Counseling
- Acute Episodic Care
- Lab Tests
- Mental Health/Social Worker Counseling
- TeleBehavioral Health
Dental Program Services
Preventive and restorative dental services are provided on a weekly basis at the Broad River Elementary, Whale Branch Elementary, Whale Branch Early College High School, and Ridgeland Elementary SBHC sites. This service is available to all students enrolled in the SBHC program with parental dental consent.
The Ronald McDonald Mobile Care unit provides hygienist services at no cost to select schools in Beaufort, Jasper, and Hampton county elementary schools that do not have an established SBHC.
The Glasscho Hope Wellness Mobile unit provides dental hygienist services to Hardeeville‐Ridgeland Middle School in Jasper County, in addition to servicing elementary schools in Hampton District 1 and Hampton District 2 elementary, middle, and high schools.
Glasscho Hope Wellness offers discounted fees based on income for the uninsured:
- Medical services @ $30 per school year – covers unlimited visits during the school year, such as health examinations, treatment for acute episodic illnesses, nutrition assessment and diet instruction, social worker assessment and counseling if needed.
- Dental services @ $50 per school year – covers oral examination, cleaning, fluoride, sealants, x‐ray, and uncomplicated restorative fillings
- Sports Physicals @ $10 (applied to ALL students)
- All services offered are covered by Medicaid
- Private insured are welcomed (co‐payments will apply)
- Enrollment applications are available through the school nurse, SBHC, or on our staff web site. For additional information about School Based Health services contact Allison Jackson, FNP, School Based Health Coordinator @ 843‐812‐9635.
- *Broad River Elementary: 843‐322‐8320
- J. J. Davis Early Learning Center: 843‐466‐3569
- *Whale Branch Elementary: 843‐466‐1079 Whale Branch Middle: 843‐466‐3015
- *Whale Branch Early College High: 843‐466‐2829 or 2701
- Hardeeville Elementary: 310‐1888 ext 5010 Hardeeville Ridgeland Middle: 310‐1898 ext 6317
- *Ridgeland Elementary:489‐8845 ext 3011 Ridgeland Hardeeville High: 489‐8844 ext 4313
- Glasscho Hope Wellness Mobile services Hampton County School District 1 and 2, and Polaris Tech Charter School.
- Ronald McDonald Services Beaufort and Jasper County Elementary Schools providing preventative dental hygiene services.
How to apply for services
- Applications are available in the front office, school nurse office, or the health clinic
- Parent (s) are to sign and return the application to the School Nurse or Health Clinic
- If a student needs immediate care and has parent consent, the student will receive care and referred back to his/her primary doctor/ dentist for additional follow-up.
- Teachers/ staff may complete registration form (select locations were FNP is available)