Lowcountry Diabetes Initiative Receives Grant For Health Ministries And Exercise Programs
The Lowcountry Diabetes Initiative (LDI) Was Formed October 2000 By A REACH 2010 Planning Grant. The Coalition Has Over 26 Partners And Includes Beaufort, Jasper, Hampton, And Allendale Counties. Meetings Are Quarterly With Beaufort Jasper Diabetes Coalition. In 2002, LDI Received Funding From SC DCP Mini-Grant, Beaufort Jasper EOC, Johnston Heart And Caring Fund Totaling $12,000; 2003 And 2004 Received $7,000 SCDCP Mini-Grant. The Programs Provided Healthy Cooking Demonstrations With Blood Pressure Checks Every Six Months In Selected Churches. Three Of Four Churches Improved Their Mean Blood Pressure In Six Months For Grant Year 2003 And 2004.
The New Grant For $13,800 From The South Carolina Diabetes Control Program Will Focus On Building Health Ministries And Implementing Exercise Programs For 5 Churches Of 14 Churches Where Blood Pressures Were Checked In The Past Three Years.
Goal: To Decrease Disparity From Diabetes And Hypertension In The Lowcountry.
- Provide Training For Representatives From Each Congregation On How To Implement A Health Ministry And Local Churches Already Involved Will Be Available To Assist In The Training
- Purchase Exercise Videos From AHEC To Facilitate A 6-Month Exercise Programs Encouraging 3 Times A Week And Provide An Exercise Bike For Each Church
- Monitor Blood Pressure Every Six Months
- Provide MD Speaker On Diabetes And Hypertension To Each Church
Susan G. Komen
The Goal Of The Program Is To Provide Community Outreach Education And Direct Subsidy Of Mammograms For Women Aged 35-64 Who Live At Or Below 200% Poverty And Have No Insurance. This Grant Provided 258 Clinical Breast Exams And 185 Screening Mammograms For Patients Who Met The Above Criteria. Patients Were Recruited In The 8 Clinics, Through 18 Outreach Activities, And Through A Health Fair Hosted By BJHCHS. Zonta And Alpa Kappa Alpha Assisted And Advertised For The Health Fair. The Migrant Camps Were Visited By The Outreach Worker And Patients Were Brought To The Clinic For Clinical Breast Exams And Screening Mammograms.
- Freed-Hardeman University, BS – Mathematics And Natural Sciences
- Murray State University, MS – Home Economics
- Applied Professional Practice Practicum – Tulane
- University School Of Public Health & Tropical Medicine
- Registered Dietitian – October 1995
- Certified Diabetes Educator – Oct 1999 & May 2003
- Certified Grants Specialist – June 2004
- Employed Since November 1, 1999
- Nutrition Director
- Assists Churches In Finding Resources And Planning Health Events
- PECS System Data Clerk.
- Employed August 19, 2002
As a dietitian and diabetes educator, I try to bring the best of science, compassion, and practicality to nutrition &/or diabetes sessions that hope to encourage people to claim their best life. I have been a dietitian since 1985 and supported Diabetes Self-Management Education programs since 1999. With two degrees in nutrition and a thirst to learn more about people, nutrition and diabetes, I feel confident my services are credible and timely.
Ohio State University, BS in Nutrition
Clemson University, Masters in Nutritional Science
Registered Dietitian – April, 1985
Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist – December, 2013