Frequently Asked Questions

What are the hours of operation?
Monday – Friday

Extended Hours are available at Port Royal Only
Adult Medicine
Monday – Thursday
Monday and Wednesday

How do I schedule an appointment?
Call the center you would like to be seen at and speak to the receptionist. We will be happy to make an appointment for you.

How do I reschedule an appointment?
If you are unable to keep your appointment, please call the center where you are scheduled to be seen as soon as possible. We will be happy to reschedule your appointment at a time that’s convenient for you.

What if I am going to be late for an appointment?
If you find you are going to be late for an appointment, please call the center where you are scheduled and let them know of the delay. If you show up more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment, you will be seen after other schedule patients or upon the availability of the provider.

I don’t have an appointment, but I would like to be seen. What should I do?
If you do not have an appointment, you may speak with a nurse over the telephone to determine whether you need immediate care. If the nurse and the provider decide that you need immediate care, you may be allowed to come to the center that same day or the following day to be seen as time allows. Please be aware that scheduled patients will be seen first and you will be expected to wait to see the medical or dental provider.

What should I bring with me on the day of my appointment?
Medicines and/or Prescriptions
Please remember to bring all your medications and/or prescriptions to your appointment. Also, notify medical/dental personnel of any changes in your medications since your last appointment.
Registration Form
If you are a new patient or have not been seen within the last year, you must complete a registration form. To print a copy, click here:
Insurance Card
Please remember to bring your insurance card(s) with you to your appointment. If you do not have insurance you may apply for the sliding fee discount.
Income Verification/Sliding Fee Discount
All patients registering for services with BJHCHS, Inc. who desire a sliding fee discount are required to provide proof of household income. Verification of income is necessary once a year and anytime there is a change in your household’s income level or size. Documentation that is incomplete or misrepresents the household’s potential earnings will not be accepted as proof of income. Patients that do not desire a discount are not required to present proof of income. Failure to provide proof of income disqualifies the patient from receiving discounted services.
Acceptable Forms of Income Verification:
*Two consecutive recent check stubs from each job
*W-2 form and last tax return
*Statement from Social Security Office
*Unemployment Benefits Statement
*Notarized Statement from Employer
*Statement of Disability

How can I obtain a copy of my medical record or release them to someone else?
To get a copy of your medical record, you must fill out and submit an “Authorization for Release of Information” authorizing BJHCHS, Inc. to release your confidential medical information. To get a copy of this form, please call the center where you normally schedule your appointments or click here to print a copy. You may also have a form faxed or mailed to you.

Request for copies of medical records will not be accepted until BJHCHS receives a completed “Authorization for Release of Information” form with your signature.

If you request for your records to be forwarded directly to another provider’s office, then copies of your records will be forwarded to that office. BJHCHS will retain your original medical records that were created during your course of treatment at BJHCHS.

A copy of your medical records will be given to you upon receipt of the following fees:

Number of Pages Copies











$15 plus 65 cents per page

31 or more

$15 plus 50 cents per page


What is a nurse practitioner?
Nurse practitioners provide basic primary health care. They diagnose and treat common acute illnesses and injuries. Nurse practitioners can prescribe medications in all States and the District of Columbia. Other advanced practice nurses include clinical nurse specialists, certified registered nurse anesthetists, and certified nurse-midwives. Advanced practice nurses have met higher educational and clinical practice requirements beyond the basic nursing education and licensing required of all R.N.s.
There are three major educational paths to nursing: Associate degree in nursing (A.D.N.), bachelor of science degree in nursing (B.S.N.), and diploma.

• A.D.N. programs, offered by community and junior colleges, take about 2 years. About half of all R.N. programs in 1998 were at the A.D.N. level.
• B.S.N. programs, offered by colleges and universities, take 4 or 5 years. About one-fourth of all programs in 1998 offered degrees at the bachelor’s level.
• Diploma programs, given in hospitals, last 2 to 3 years. Only a small number of programs, about 4 percent, offer diploma level degrees. Generally, licensed graduates of any of the three program types qualify for entry level positions as staff nurses.

Source: The Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.

When does my child need immunizations?
By making sure that your child gets immunized on time, you can provide the best available defense against many dangerous childhood diseases. Immunizations protect children against: hepatitis B, polio, measles, mumps, rubella (German measles), pertussis (whooping cough), diphtheria, tetanus (lockjaw), Haemophilus influenza type b, pneumococcal infections, and chickenpox. The American Academy of Pediatrics has a recommended schedule for child and adolescent immunizations.

I need a Medication Refill, what should I do?
If your medication is going to run about before your next appointment, please call the center where you get seen as soon as possible (preferably when you have 10 pills left). If you wait until the last minute, there is a chance it won’t get filled in time. So remember to call early!

Do you have Spanish interpreters on site?
The Chelsea location has Spanish interpreters on site Monday-Friday, 8:30-5pm. The St. Helena location has a Spanish interpreter on site on Wednesdays only.

What will I need to pay for services?
You will be asked to provide a minimum payment prior to seeing a medical or dental provider. The minimum payment is $30.00. If you have insurance that requires a co-payment or deductible, you will be required to pay that amount. Please be prepared to pay a minimum payment prior to being seen by your medical or dental provider.

What will I need to pay for Dental Visits?
BJHCHS, Inc. provides Dental Services at our centers in Chelsea, Hardeeville, Sheldon and St. Helena. BJHCHS accepts dental insurance coverage. However you are responsible for any charges not covered by insurance and deductibles for Basic and Major dental services.

What will I need to pay for Preventive Dental Procedures?
Due to the high cost of dental supplies and laboratory expenses, a minimum prepayment of $30.00 will be charged for each preventive procedure. $30.00 must be received before the dentist starts preventive procedures. The remaining minimum fee balance is due upon completion of the visit. No additional dental appointments will be scheduled until the minimum balance is paid.

What will I need to pay for Major Dental Procedures?
Major dental procedures require a down payment of 50% as outlined in your treatment plan before dental procedures are started. Major dental procedures include procedures such as dentures, partials, crowns, bridges, and some root canals. The remaining 50% of the bill is due before delivery or completion of a major dental procedure.

What will I need to pay for Obstetrical Services?
A global obstetrical package is available for patients without insurance and who classify under the sliding fee discount. The package includes routine OB care, ante partum delivery and postpartum care. The global OB package does not include ultrasounds.

What will I need to pay for an Ultrasound?
Ultrasounds are available at scheduled times at the Chelsea and Port Royal locations. If eligible, discounted rates are available for ultrasounds. Self-pay patients will be required to pay a minimum of $100. Payment is expected at the time of service. Depending on the type of ultrasound the cost could be as high as $350.

If I have questions or concerns about my account balance, who should I call?
If you have questions about your account balance, please contact a Patient Account Representative at (843) 987-7400.